Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Melissa

We have done several fun things the past few weeks. W e went to Scarborough Fair one Saturday with my family. It is a renaissance festival in W axahachie. I had never been but I heard there were lots of fun things to do there. It was basically like a little village in the medieval time period with people dressed in character, shops, food, and entertainment. They had jousting, knife throwing, rides for the kids, and elephants and cam els to ride. W e didn't get to spend much tim e there because we had a wedding to go to that evening, but we did participate in fencing. My dad, sister, and Scott and I each went into the arena and tried to pop balloons on each other's head and shoulders with a fencing sword. It was pretty fun. Scott and I were the last ones in the ring and Scott ended up beating me. I would probably like to go again another time so we can get the full experience. They only have it for 2 months out of the year, so maybe next year. After that, Scott was the DJ at his friend's wedding. He had never played at a wedding before and was really nervous to m ake all the announcements and try not to sound corny. I went with him and we had fun watching people dance and celebrate. Scott did a good job and he was even approached by another DJ from a wedding at the same hotel about other possible job opportunities. We decided we could be a DJing team, as I helped pick out some of the music that people seemed to really enjoy. The following weekend was our second anniversary. It seems like we were just celebrating our first anniversary not too long ago. Our actual anniversary was on a Monday night so we just went to dinner at Nick and Sam's. The next night we went to see the musical 'The W edding Singer" with my high school friend, Elizabeth Gibbons. It was fun to reminisce about old days, especially because she and I used to watch the movie almost every weekend when we were in high school. The next weekend we had a date night with Scott's business partner Dave and his fiancé Kim. We went out to dinner to a hibachi grill and then saw Jaim e Kennedy at the Improv (the guy from Malibu's Most Wanted and the prankster show 'The Jaime Kennedy eXperiment'). All of the comedians were really funny. W e had a fun time and are so glad we get along with them so well. I am sure we will become great friends. Our anniversary presents to ourselves was a weekend getaway in Alabama. Some may ask why we would go there when we could go anywhere we wanted. Scott thought of the idea of "50 states in 50 years," where each anniversary we go to a different state. This way we can see places we probably would not ever go and there are always fun things to do everywhere. W e are making a cute little map of the US and putting our picture in each state and the year we visited. Our first anniversary was in Florida and this year in Alabama. W e stayed at a nice beach resort. The beaches were nice and white and the ocean was pretty. It really felt like we were staying in Cancun. There were lots of pools, it had a nice restaurant and pizzeria/ice cream shop inside, and a game room. The first day we went deep sea fishing and caught about 20 fish. I had been several times before so I pretty much knew how to do it. Scott was newer at it and pretty amazed that I caught so many and even baited my own hooks with squid. Since I don't eat fish and Scott doesn't really either, we gave most of our fish away to other people on the boat. We did keep our 2 biggest fish, a snapper and triggerfish, and took it to a nearby restaurant where they cooked it for us. Scott liked it and I even tried it. It was sort of weird knowing you were eating a fish that you just caught a couple hours ago. The next day we hung out at the beach and went golfing. Well, Scott went golfing and I just hung out. We also saw a couple of movies that weekend and played PacMan in the game room. The real adventure started in trying to get home. We were on our way to the airport about a couple hours before our flight was supposed to leave and we got a phone call from American Airlines saying our flight was canceled and we were booked another one for the following night. We both started freaking out because that had never happened to us before and we had a baby to get home to. Scott talked to the airlines and ended up finding us another flight leaving a couple hours later, but it was leaving from an airport on the other side of the state. It took us over 2 hours to drive to the other airport and were literally running through the airport to catch our flight. We probably would have missed it, but our flight happened to be delayed like 10 minutes. All in all, it was a very fun and relaxing trip. W e would definitely recommend Alabama for anyone wanting to go to a nice beach close by, probably almost as close as Galveston and 10 tim es nicer. As for our everyday lives, Scott's business is going great. He has several client projects that he is working on and several m ore people interested. He is also busy playing sports on the weekends. H e plays soccer, basketball, and softball. Caden and I like to go to his games and cheer him on. This semester is over for me and I have a month before I start the summer semester. I am starting my new internship this week at a place called CITY House in Plano. It is a family counseling/crisis center that provides lots of group and fam ily counseling for free to anyone with a child. There are lots of opportunities to start up new community programs and groups. I am excited to start and gain more experience so that I can start my private practice this coming January. The only thing I am not looking forward to is working 20 hours a week (NOT paid I m ight add) along with school. But I just keep telling myself and Scott that this is the home stretch and I would rather spend more tim e now so that I can get my hours done and graduate in December than go to school another semester or even two. I feel bad having to leave Scott home alone 4 nights a week, but he has fun hanging out with Caden while I am gone. Speaking of Caden, he is definitely a little toddler now and his personality is starting to come out. He is so fun-loving and always smiling. He talks all the time now although we haven't heard any definite words yet. He does make sounds that could be interpreted as Bear and Kobe and sometimes Mam a, Dada, and byebye. He gets into everything... he especially loves playing in the toilets and eating dog food when he happens to sneak away unnoticed. He can stand on his own but hasn't taken any steps yet. He does love to push around his walker so it shouldn't be too much longer until he is walking on his own. He has four teeth now, 2 on top and 2 on bottom. He also loves playing with other kids and Bear and Kobe. He has started Mother's Day Out once a week while I do my internship but is still adjusting to it. I think he would really enjoy it if he would just take a nap there. The teachers say he has lots of fun playing but then just gets so tired that he is crying and cranky the last couple of hours. He just won't take naps for other people or in a bed other than his own. Hopefully he will get used to it. Other than that, m y and Caden's birthdays are coming up soon. I am planning his first birthday party and making him a book of his first year and maybe a birthday flag. I loved this idea and would love to get Scott's old flag and m ake Caden one of his own...maybe with some help from Grandma J P.S. I put several more pictures in this letter but then it was too big to email.... To see more pictures you can check out . Till next time, Melissa, Scott, and Caden

No comments: